Friday, November 19, 2010

'Detox' might be the last time you hear Dr. Dre rap

After what appeared to be a musical self-exile, Dr. Dre is back to releasing original material: The music legend has released “Kush” on iTunes.
The Snoop Dogg and Akon assisted track is the first official single from Dr. Dre’s long-awaited album, “Detox.” The record was first announced by the good Doctor back in April of 2002, and more than eight years later, the album is set for a first quarter release in 2011.
In excerpts from the cover story for their December/January issue, XXL Magazine’s Editor-In-Chief, Vanessa Satten, gets the 45 year-old to open up about the album and where it stands rights now. Dr. Dre admits that the project almost never saw the light of day.
“I’ve been through that thing several times, where I’m like, ‘You know what? I quit. I’m not doing this,” Dr. Dre tells XXL. Everything is starting to sound the same.’”
So, what changed and why is Dre ready to make music for someone other than his peers?
“I’m really feeling it now,” he told the magazine. “My energy has been back and forth with the record, tussling with doing it out of obligation, as opposed to doing it because I really feel it.”
Regardless of his inspiration now, Dre admits the only thing keeping the almost mythical record from being released was himself. Oh, and that whole age thing.
“The only part that has been pushing me back is just the fact that I’m getting older, and certain things to talk about,” he said. “But I can incorporate other artists, new artists with this record, to say some of the things I won’t say.”
Speaking of things he won’t say, Dr. Dre also states that “Detox” could mark the very last time he’ll ever rap. “I don’t ever see myself retiring totally from music, because I have a genuine love and passion for it,” he said. “But as far as me going into the mic booth, that [expletive] is over…I don’t see myself doing it the way I’m doing it now…I think I’m going to back off a little bit and spend some time with the family.”

No comments:

Post a Comment