Monday, September 12, 2011

Kate Winslet calls herself a 'hypocrite' for doing nude scenes

Kate Winslet thinks that she might be the "hypocrite of the decade" after once vowing not to do nude scenes in her films.

It definitely makes me the hypocrite of the decade, I'm just going to stop saying it," Winslet told V magazine of once vowing to stop doing nude scenes. "I hate it! Listen, make no mistake, I just get on it... If you complain about it or procrastinate it's not going to go away."

"It's a profoundly bizarre thing to do. As actors, you talk about it all the time," Winslet continued. "You can be literally tangled in sheets, and you turn to the other actor and say, 'What the (expletive) are we doing?' Dear Mum, at work today, I had so-and-so's left nut sack pressed against my cheek. It's sort of unethical if you think about it in those terms."

The actress most recently appeared nude in the 5-hour HBO mini-series, "Mildred Pierce," which was nominated for a whopping 21 Primetime Emmys. In the series, Winslet plays a single mother who sacrifices everything for her ambitious daughter, who is played by Evan Rachel Wood.

The actress has also gone bare for "Titanic" and her Oscar-winning role in "The Reader."

For her spread in V magazine, Winslet channeled film legend Elizabeth Taylor, who passed away in March. Famed photographer Mario Testino shot Winslet wearing head-wraps and plenty of diamonds, but the actress recently said she prefers to play "less glamorous" characters.

"To tell you the truth, I'm at odds about being famous," Winslet told the magazine. "It's very difficult to say that and not make it sound like I'm complaining or being ungrateful for what I have. But the truth is, gone are the days where you can just do your job and have your life. And when I'm not doing my job, I want not to be doing it. I don't want to be in the public eye in those moments. I want to be able to give my children as normal a life as possible. They need to take the bus, the subway, muck around on the playground without having five paparazzi take their picture. I don't want those memories for them. I didn't sign up for that."

Winslet, who is currently dating Louis Dowler, and has two children, Mia, 10, and Joe, 7, from marriages to directors Jim Threapleton and Sam Mendes. Winslet and Mendes separated in March 2010.

The actress told V magazine that as much as she hates having her children exposed to paparazzi, she wouldn't be willing to take them away from the city either.

"I like the diversity that my children are exposed to every day," Winslet said. "I love the way their brains work. Joe [her son] turns to me the other day and says, 'One day, I will have a girlfriend. But I might have a boyfriend. If I'm gay.' He's 7! And I said, 'You might have a girlfriend or a boyfriend, darling.' And he said, 'Which would you prefer?' And I said, 'My love, that would be entirely up to you, and it doesn't make any difference to me.' But that he knows! It's a real privilege. Talk about the best education."

Winslet currently appears in "Contagion," which was released on Friday, September 9. The 35-year-old British actress portrays Dr. Erin Mears, an Epidemic Intelligence Service officer who works to find a pathogen and vaccine for a deadly airborne virus that is threatening to spread around the world. The film also stars Matt Damon and Jude Law.

The actress rose to fame with her role as Rose in another disaster film - 1997 movie "Titanic." She won her first Oscar for her performance in the 2008 movie "The Reader."

Winslet will next appear in "Carnage," opposite Oscar-winner Christoph Waltz, Jodie Foster and John C. Reilly.

The film, which is based on the play by Yasmina Reza, "The God of Carnage," is slated for release on September 30 and follows two sets of parents who organize a "cordial" meeting after their sons are involved in a fight at school which leaves one child with broken teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment