Thursday, September 1, 2011

T.I. gets reality show on VH1 about post-prison life

Atlanta-based rapper T.I. was released from prison on Wednesday, one month early, and already has a deal for a reality show in the works at VH1 about his post-prison life.

The network announced the show, which is still untitled, will follow T.I., "as he re-adjusts to life as a free man after being incarcerated for nearly a year in a Federal prison in Arkansas." The first season of the series will run for 10 half-hour episodes and is set to premiere on December 5.

The rapper was sent back to jail for 11 months in October 2010 after a federal judge revoked the rapper's probation.

T.I., whose real name is Clifford Harris, was released from a federal prison in Arkansas where he was serving time for a probation violation. The rapper initially served seven months at the prison in 2009 after he was arrested for trying to buy unregistered guns and silencers from undercover federal agents.

He was on probation after he was released and ordered not to commit another crime or to illegally possess any controlled substances. T.I. was arrested again in September 2010 in Los Angeles on drug charges after authorities said he was found with four ecstasy pills.

Police pulled over the rapper after he performed an illegal U-turn on Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood. During the traffic stop, deputies apparently smelled marijuana coming from the car. After looking inside the vehicle, the officers found pills resembling ecstasy.

"I want drugs out of my life. If I can get the treatment and counseling I need ... I can beat this," the rapper told the judge at the time of his October hearing, according to The Associated Press. "I need help. For me, my mother, my kids, I need the court to give me mercy."

MTV had a similar reality show with the rapper in 2009 called "T.I.'s Road to Redemption: 45 Days to Go," which chronicled his attempts to help others avoid his mistakes.

The arrest on weapons charges came after Harris' best friend was killed following a post-performance party in Cincinnati in 2006. The rapper has said the bullets that killed his friend were meant for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment