Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Jennifer Hudson turned down 'Precious' because of weight

Jennifer Hudson could have had two Oscars under her belt.

The singer and actress, who won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in 2006 for her role as Effie White in "Dreamgirls," says in her new book that she turned down the lead role in the 2009 film "Precious" because it would have required her to gain weight.

"I had [gained weight] with Effie [in 'Dreamgirls']," she says in her memoir "I Got This: How I Changed My Ways and Lost What Weighed Me Down," according to Uptown Magazine. "And as much as I was moved by this film, I wanted to try a role that had nothing whatsoever to do with my weight."

"Precious" is based on the novel "Push" by Sapphire. The lead role of Claireece "Precious" Jones, a troubled, pregnant teenager, eventually went to newcomer Gabourey Sidbe, who was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress.

(Check out other roles that actors and actresses, such as Johnny Depp and Sandra Bullock, almost played)

Hudson, a former "American Idol" finalist, went on to have a role in the first "Sex and the City" film in 2008. She plans to discuss her weight loss secrets in the upcoming memoir.

Hudson is now a spokeswoman for "Weight Watchers" and in January, she told Oprah Winfrey that she has lost 80 pounds, going from a size 16 to a size 6 through diet and exercise. She is now reportedly a size zero.
The singer and actress recently caught up with OnTheRedCarpet.com at the American Music Awards, to talk about her upcoming projects.

"I have a book coming out in January, look for my book," Hudson told OnTheRedCarpet.com at the American Music Awards. "Also, music -- I'm going back into the studio soon to work on my music as well. 'I Remember Me' is out right now, which is my second album. Also, more films, I'm going to start filming in the spring of next year. So look for movies, music and a book!"

No comments:

Post a Comment