Friday, December 30, 2011

Russell Brand files for divorce from Katy Perry

Russell Brand has filed for a divorce from his wife of 14 months, Katy Perry.

"Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage," the 36-year-old comedian told the Associated Press on Friday. "I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Brand cited "irreconcilable differences" in the documents, which were filed in a Los Angeles Superior Court on December 30. The couple had no children together.

Perry, 27, and Brand were married on October 23, 2010 in a traditional Hindu ceremony in Rajasthan, India, where Brand also proposed to the singer. The two began dating in September 2009 after the singer performed on the MTV Video Music Awards that were hosted by Brand.

Perry and Brand were both photographed without their wedding rings over the holiday.

Perry spent Christmas in Hawaii with friends while Brand was in his native England. People magazine obtained photos of Perry and Brand, sans wedding rings -- Perry was spotted frolicking in the ocean over the weekend, while Brand was seen walking in London on Thursday.

According to the Us Weekly, the pair had a "massive fight" before deciding to spend the holidays apart. The weekly claims that Perry was previously planning to join Brand in England, with her family in tow, before the argument occurred

Neither Perry nor Brand addressed the reports.

Earlier in the month, the singer took to her official Twitter page to shoot down rumors that she is divorcing Russell Brand and/or is pregnant.

"First I'm pregnant & then I'm divorced. What am I 'All My Children'?! #ericakane #pshhh #ifihadadollarforeverytime," Perry wrote, referring to the soap opera character played by Susan Lucci on the long running series.

Brand also denied the divorce rumors on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" earlier in the month.

"There are always rumors, aren't there? In the end you have to just not engage with Internet technology," he said. "Which is difficult because a lot of the nude women websites I quite enjoy!"

"I've treated the whole Internet now as if it's a wicked little liar," he added. "Yeah. I am really happily married."

Brand also talked about his desire to start a family. "I really would like one," he told DeGeneres about having children. "I love those little babies in the beginning. They're so lovely at that bit."

No comments:

Post a Comment