Monday, October 17, 2011

Giuliana Rancic, 37, reveals she's battling breast cancer

"E! News" co-host Giuliana Rancic announced on Monday, October 17, that she has early stages of breast cancer.

The 37-year-old said during an appearance on "The Today Show," which can be seen below, that the cancer was discovered during a mammogram examination she had while she was undergoing a third round of in-vitro fertilization in an effort to get pregnant. Rancic has been open about her fertility problems and had a miscarriage in 2010.

Rancic said she will have surgery this week, followed by six and one-half weeks of radiation therapy.

The television host revealed that before she was set to undergo treatment her doctor advised her to get a mammogram to ensure that she did not have cancer before she went on hormone therapy. "He said, 'I don't care if you're 26 or 36, but I will not get you pregnant if possibly there's a small risk that you have cancer because the hormones will accelerate the cancer,'" Rancic said. "I wasn't prepared to get a mammogram until I was 40 years old, like I'd been told. I never in my wildest dreams expected anything to be wrong."

Rancic is married to Bill Rancic, winner of the first season of "The Apprentice." The couple married in 2007 and launched their own reality show, "Giuliana & Bill." "Bill is unbelievable," Rancic said about her husband and how the two have handled the news. "He lets me cry when I want to cry. He just lets me feel what I want to feel."

The television host also said she still wants to get pregnant because "this baby will have saved my life."

Rancic also had a message for other women about getting screened for breast cancer. "I think a lot of us think we're invincible. But we have to start putting ourselves on the to-do list," she said."I just want women out there to know if you can just find it early, you'll be OK. I found it early."

No comments:

Post a Comment