Friday, March 18, 2011

Shania Twain: I have lost my ability to sing

Shania Twain says she has lost her ability to sing and showcases her attempts to "reclaim her voice" in a new reality series, "Why Not? with Shania Twain," which is set to premiere on the OWN Network on May 8.

Twain, 45, has not released a new album in almost a decade and had over the past few years dealt with the breakdown of her first marriage.

In "Why Not?," Twain embarks on a tour of "healing, sharing and rediscovering her voice," which includes a visit to her childhood home in Canada, where she grew up in poverty. She enlists the help of vocal doctors and coaches, a grief counselor and fellow music artists such as Lionel Richie and Gladys Knight in a bid to "reclaim her voice."

"I have lost my ability to express myself and my ability to sing," Twain says in a promotional video for "Why Now?." I've lost it for some reason. I'm not comfortable singing in front of people anymore. I was feeling more pressure from my career. It just affected me. I was slowly losing my voice and slowly losing my confidence. My marriage was slowly breaking down, too."

Twain, who was named Eilleen when she was born, grew up with two sisters and two half brothers. In 1987, her mother and stepfather were killed in a car accident. At age 22, Twain became her younger siblings' guardian.

The singer went on to concentrate on her music career and achieved mainstream success with hits such as "That Don't Impress Me Much" and "Still The One," last released a studio album in 2002. The record, "Up!" has sold more than 11 million copies in the United States.

In 2008, Twain and Robert "Mutt" Lange, father of her son Eja, separated after 14 years of marriage. He had allegedly had an affair with Twain's best friend and Thiebaud's ex-wife, Marie-Anne Thiebaud. In January, Twain married Swiss business executive Frederic Thiebaud in Puerto Rico after dating for at least one year.

"First I found out that marriage was over and then the next day, I found out about the affair," Twain said. "It was a real death. I really lost my sense of trust, compassion, honesty. Forget that. That's all gone. That's dead. I was really getting quite obsessive about my own pain, my struggle, and I just had to snap out of it."

Lange has not commented on Twain's remarks. Also this spring, Twain is set to release an autobiography, which will be her first book and will detail her "challenging and sometimes shockingly painful upbringing" in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment