Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Halle Berry would 'entertain the idea' of playing Queen of Soul

Aretha Franklin would love for Halle Berry to portray her in an upcoming biopic, but the Oscar winner says she just doesn’t have the vocal chops to pull it off.

When CNN’s Roland Martin emailed Berry, 44, to ask about the casting conundrum, Berry replied that while she was moved and flattered by the statement, she wasn’t so sure she was the right pick.

"I adore Aretha...ADORE her,” Berry said, “but I'm sure she would want the actress to sing."


Berry made a similar statement about the potential part on the red carpet at the Golden Globes Sunday - clearly, this is one actress who isn't trying to crossover into music. “If I could carry a tune, I'd consider it," she told E!'s Ryan Seacrest. "Someone should tell Aretha that I can't do her justice."

Franklin issued a statement last week announcing her top picks for the film, including Denzel Washington to portray her father, Baptist minister and civil rights leader C.L. Franklin, and Terrence Howard for the role of the legendary Smokey Robinson. The 68-year-old legend also mentioned the film on “The Wendy Williams Show" last week, noting that "Halle Berry is my pick" to play an adult Aretha.

Although Berry swears she can't hold a note, she did say that she's open to thinking about it.

“I would absolutely entertain the idea, it would be an honor for anyone to play her,” Berry told CNN. “I would entertain producing and helping in anyway. I believe her life and contribution to the music industry is an important part of the legacy of our people and needs to be told."

No comments:

Post a Comment