Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Oscars 2011: The nominees react

Nicole Kidman and Geoffrey Rush have both nabbed Oscars before, but that doesn’t make this morning’s nominations any less sweet.

Rush, 59, was nominated in the best supporting actor category for his role in “The King’s Speech” whereas Kidman is up once again for a best actress Oscar.

"What an extraordinary journey this film has taken me on! ‘Rabbit Hole’ has been a labor of love and I'm so thankful to John Cameron Mitchell, David Lindsay-Abaire and the brilliant cast,” Kidman, 43, told CNN in a statement. “This nomination reflects all of the heart and soul that these people have put into it and I can't thank them enough."


As for Rush, who played speech therapist Lionel Logue in the film, told CNN: "As an Australian, I'm as excited to be recognized and honored by the Academy as my character must have been when his London speech therapy business flourished when the future King Of England happened to pop by one day.”

Rush added,”This story has struck such a rich resonant chord with audiences of all ages, which is very exciting - to have your work honored by your industry peers is even better."

Rush's co-star Colin Firth, who is nominated for a best actor statuette, told CNN that he's "currently celebrating with my colleagues three feet above the ground. Not used to this much joy, or this much champagne at this hour." Meanwhile, "King's Speech" director and best directing nominee Tom Hooper added, "I am absolutely overwhelmed by the twelve Oscar nominations for 'The King's Speech'. I am so grateful to the Academy. I am incredibly proud of my extraordinary cast and crew. This is a day I will remember for the rest of my life.”

Jeremy Renner, who was also nominated for an Oscar last year for his role in "The Hurt Locker," told CNN that he's "truly overwhelmed with gratitude by this recognition by the Academy this morning. I'm smiling from ear to ear knowing that lightning can strike twice and it feels electrifying. I'm thrilled to be amongst these tremendously talented artists. A big congratulations to all the nominees!"

And for "How to Train Your Dragon" writers/directors Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois, this morning's nominations for the best animated feature and best original score was an "unbelievable thrill and an honor," Sanders told CNN.

"I honestly couldn't sleep last night in anticipation of the announcement," Sanders added. "When I was a kid I watched the Oscars with my grandmother – we never missed a broadcast. I could never have imagined that as kid growing up in Colorado I would have a chance to be a part of this amazing thing. DreamWorks gave us a place where we were free to create and pushed us to never ever stop short of the best we could do."

DeBlois added, "I'm actually on my way to the Van Nuys immigration and naturalization office for a biometrics (fingerprinting) appointment. I'm looking at the Oscar nom as a good sign! Maybe they'll let me stick around and become a citizen now!"

A.R. Rahman, who got word of his Oscar nominations for best original score and best original song for “127 Hours” upon landing in Zürich, said he’s pleased to be nominated.

His first Oscar nomination and win came in 2009 for “Slumdog Millionaire.”

There’s no pressure this time, he said.

Director David O. Russell, whose film "The Fighter" snagged seven Oscar nominations, said in a statement that he's "beyond grateful" for the recognition.

"Actually, I am over the moon as it is an extremely competitive year of such really good films and talented directors," Russell went on. "Here's to the people of Lowell who are hard working, regular people with huge hearts. Our characters are great because of these everyday people who never give up. They inspired such powerful performances by gutsy actors who were a director's gift: Christian Bale, Mark Wahlberg, Melissa Leo, Amy Adams, Jack McGee and the seven sisters. I'm so truly grateful to everybody who worked on this movie. I owe an incredible debt of gratitude to Mark Wahlberg – he's the man - without him this movie would not have been made. Like Micky Ward, it looks like we're going to have very interesting 6th and 7th rounds.”

Michelle Williams, who received "Blue Valentine's" only Oscar nomination with a best actress nod, chimed in with this statement: “I am honored to receive this nomination. Making Blue Valentine was unlike any experience I've ever had before, or may ever have again. I share this recognition with Ryan and Derek who always brought out the best in me. Thank you to the Academy and to The Weinstein Company for their support of this film.”

Mark Ruffalo, who is nominated in the best supporting actor category for his role in "The Kids Are All Right," had this to say: “It is with great honor and humility that I receive my Oscar nomination. I have been included with a group of top-notch actors who I respect and admire. I am humbled to be in their presence. I also would like to acknowledge the power of ensemble acting. The kind of acting that happened in this movie does not exist in a bubble. Any honor that I receive must be shared with Julianne Moore, Annette Bening, Josh Hutcherson, Mia Wasikowska, the rest of the cast, and of course the inimitable Lisa Cholodenko. Thank you to the Academy. This nomination is a win for Marriage Equality and that is the most I could hope for.”

No comments:

Post a Comment