Friday, February 18, 2011

Dina Lohan: Lindsay gave advice to Charlie Sheen

In a recent radio interview, Charlie Sheen offered advice to fellow troubled star Lindsay Lohan, telling her to work on her impulse control and think before she acts. Now the actress's mother, Dina Lohan, has a few words to say about her daughter and Sheen as well.

"He's 40-odd years old and Lindsay's 24," Dina said in an interview with "Good Morning America" Friday morning, adding that she doesn't understand why people constantly draw comparisons between the two.

"I love his show, he's a talented actor. He's been in the business a lot longer than my daughter. He's from Hollywood, his father is a talented actor, his step-brother… I just think that Lindsay took his advice and she gave him advice as well," said Dina.


And that advice? "Just get help."

Which is what Lindsay herself has done, Dina says in an interview airing on "20/20" tonight. "I believe [that Lindsay doesn't drink anymore], and I think it's gonna be a lifelong struggle with addiction. But I think she's gonna be okay," Dina tells Chris Cuomo in the interview. Still, she admits, it took her daughter some time to get to that place.

"You know, you have to be ready as an individual," says Dina. "It's not just gonna happen. You have to hit your own bottom."

Dina saw Lindsay spiraling out of control early on, but, "I just didn't tell anyone about it. It was a personal situation. I saw it visually, what was happening. You know, I'm around my children. I was around Lindsay a lot, and I saw what was happening. I grabbed the bull by the horns and tried to get her help immediately."

That included a less-than-successful stay in rehab in 2007. Lindsay would go on to get busted for drunk driving, serve three short jail terms and complete five more rehab stints. She is now facing charges of felony grand theft over a necklace she claims she forgot to return to a Los Angeles jewelry store.

While the press has blamed Dina for Lindsay's troubles, calling her a typical stage mom, she denies that she's a bad parent.

"I can't always fight what they're saying or thinking of me. And I'm — I'm certainly not that person," says the self-described "lifelong entertainer." "So when people say, 'Oh, she's living off her children or her kids,' or we're all in this business... I grew up in this business. That's what I know."

Dina says Lindsay is still struggling and "learning as she goes," but she believes she is well on the road to recovery.

"I really think she was at a maturation level that she now understands what she needs to get from it," she says. "And she grasps that."

No comments:

Post a Comment