Sunday, July 3, 2011

La Toya Jackson talks about her kidnapping and brother's death in new tell-all 'Starting Over'



La Toya Jackson is currently promoting her new tell-all book, "Starting Over," which hit bookshelves on June 21 and sat down with OnTheRedCarpet.com to share photos and details from the memoir.

"In the beginning, I was afraid to write it because I was embarrassed to let people know about my life and what I went through and what I endured," La Toya told OnTheRedCarpet.com correspondent Tony Cabrera on Friday.

"Starting Over" contains details about La Toya's life with her famous family and her former husband and tidbits about the final days of Michael Jackson. In June, La Toya said on her Twitter page that she "left nothing out" of her new book, which is the follow-up to her 1991 book "La Toya: Growing Up in the Jackson Family."

"Every question about me you ever wanted answered, is in this book!" La Toya Jackson Tweeted."This is my autobiography, it's tells everything that has happened in my life since my last book in 1991, 20 years ago."

La Toya Jackson is the older sister of Janet and Michael Jackson and grew up with them, their brothers and their parents, Katherine and Joe Jackson. Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson and La Toya Jackson have said in the past their father was abusive, which he has denied.

The book "Starting Over" also contains details about La Toya Jackson's "journey to hell and back at the hands of her former manager and husband, Jack Gordon."

"He took me to Japan, where I was supposed to be for a few days and then he took away my passport and said 'You're never going back,'" La Toya continued. "From that point, he started the abuse. He locked me in closets, I wasn't allowed to watch television, he started beating me, I couldn't have friends or read newspapers... he was making me do things totally against my will, like Playboy [magazine] and everything that he did. He told me if I didn't do it that he would kill me and kill my brother Michael. It was like a Catch 22."

She has said in the past that Gordon, who is 20 years older than her, forced her to marry him, controlled her life for about 10 years and also physically abused her. Gordon had denied her allegations. He died in 2005 at age 66.

Michael Jackson died in 2009 at age 50 and La Toya Jackson joined her family, including the singer's three children, on stage at a Los Angeles tribute ceremony that was broadcast around the world.

Michael Jackson's doctor, Dr. Conrad Murray faces a September trial after being accused of involuntary manslaughter in the singer's death. He has pleaded not guilty. La Toya Jackson says in "Starting Over" that she confronted Murray in the hospital shortly after her brother was pronounced dead and that he gave her only "evasion and excuses." He has not commented.

La Toya Jackson writes that following her brother's death, she found his bedroom "torn to pieces," with furniture overturned and items scattered about. She told OnTheRedCarpet.com that surveillance tapes from Michael's house were erased and hopes to find justice in her brother's murder case.

La Toya Jackson began her entertainment career early. She starred with her siblings on the CBS variety show, "The Jacksons" and began a solo career in 1980. She appeared on the short-lived CBS reality show, "Armed & Famous" and on the British reality series "Celebrity Big Brother."

The 55-year-old gained new fans this year after starring on the fourth season of Donald Trump's NBC reality show "The Celebrity Apprentice," which shows celebrities putting together marketing campaigns to try and sell a product while winning money for charity. On the reality series, La Toya Jackson was deemed a consistently weaker player when compared to more dominant personalities such as Star Jones and NeNe Leakes. Country singer John Rich ultimately won the season.

1 comment:

  1. Janet didn't say her father was abusive she felt he was old school and Latoya said alot of stuff she said in her autobiography from 1991 was fabricated because her her abusive manager/husband.

    ReplyDelete