Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Lauryn Hill issues statement about Rohan Marley and paternity rumors

After Lauryn Hill gave birth to her sixth child on Saturday, Rohan Marley, her longtime partner and father of her five children, issued an unusual Tweet.

"I'm forwarding all well wishes to Ms. Hill on the birth of her new son. I'm sure she'll appreciate the love being sent to her," Marley wrote on Monday.

Rumors began to surface online that Marley was not the father of Hill's newborn son, that he left her during her pregnancy and began seeing a Brazilian model by the name of Isabeli Fontana. Fontana recently Tweeted, "I'm in love with @Romarley's heart," along with a picture of herself and Marley.

While Marley has not commented on whether he is the father of Hill's baby or is dating Fontana, Hill issued a vaguely worded personal statement on her official website about the rumors on Wednesday.

"Mr. Marley and I have a long and complex history about which MANY inaccuracies have been reported since the beginning. To speculate without the facts can only cause people to form WRONG conclusions. We both value privacy and for that reason defend and preserve our right to it," Hill said.

The statement continued, "Contrary to the numerous reports, Mr. Marley did not abandon me while pregnant with his child. We have had long periods of separation over the years but our 5 children together remain a joy to both of us. Thank you for your concern and I appreciate all of the well wishes regarding the birth of my new son."

Hill, 35, has avoided publicity since dropping out of public view in 2002, following the success of her first album. Marley was reportedly married at the time they met in 1996. The couple have five children together, Zion David-Nesta Marley, 13, Selah Marley, 12, Joshua Marley, 9, John Marley, 8 and Sarah Marley, 3.

Marley addressed their relationship on Twitter recently writing, "The nature of our relationship something we don't expect people who spread gossip for a living to fully understand," adding later, "Ms. Hill is the mother of my children, whom I have a tremendous amount of love and respect for. I would never do that."

Hill announced that she was expecting in June, during a concert at Detroit's Chene Park.

"I'm going to be taking time off to give birth," Hill told the crowd, Rolling Stone reported. Hill previously hinted at the pregnancy during a show at Los Angeles' Club Nokia in April.

"I keep having these children," Hill said at the time. "I don't know if I'm the most fertile woman in America. I've got five big children, you believe that? If you ask anybody I went to high school with, they'd be puzzled."

Hill rose to fame as a member of the Fugees. In 1998, she launched her solo career with "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill," which earned the singer five Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year and Best New Artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment