Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Lady Gaga: I'm not using the gay community to sell records

Lady Gaga is one of the celebs who's been a champion for equal rights, but it seems her activism has caused some to question as to whether she's using her relationship with the gay community to eke out a greater profit.

In an interview with the Advocate, the 25-year-old superstar calls such skepticism "ridiculous."

“To say that I would use the gay community to sell records is probably one of the most ridiculous statements anyone can make about me as a person," she tells the magazine in its August issue. "I would say the top thing I think about every single day of my life, other than my fans, loving the music, and my family being healthy, is social justice and equality.”


Not that the constant gossip bothers her. “Rumors, shots at me as a human being, that’s what comes with the territory of being a musician and being someone who is a public figure,” Gaga tells the mag. “I care only about what I can change."

One thing she may not be able to change, though, is the perception that she gleans a little too much from Madonna's legacy.

"There’s no drama, there’s no jealousy, there’s no competition," she says of the comparisons to Madge and other icons like Barbra Streisand. “They’re just happy to see other women winning. I just feel so connected to Madonna in a lot of ways, and I feel connected to Barbra, and I feel connected to Cher and Blondie and all of the women who came before me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment